Top 10 Benefits of Martial Arts (Continued)
- Improved Reflexes: Research has found that participating in Martial Arts, you not only improve your reflexes while performing the activity, but actually experience faster reaction times during all activities of your life. This is very important in a number of daily activities, such as driving.
- Focus and Stillness: As Bruce Lee pointed out, behind the punches, kicks and knees, a true Martial Artist learns to sit with himself and see where his weaknesses are. As a Martial Artist, you will learn what it is to be still, challenged and focused.
- Teaches Great Morals and Values: Martial Arts wisdom has it that after consistent practice, one becomes less impulsive and aggressive towards others. The Shaolin moral code for example comprises 12 ethics, 10 forbidden acts and 10 obligations. Patience, insight and calmness are considered pre-requisites of good Kung Fu. This reminds students of the right attitude, frame of mind and virtues to strive for inside and outside the studio.
- Muscle Tone: By participating in Martial Arts, you can greatly improve the amount of muscle mass you have in your body. The higher your muscle mass, the higher your metablolic demands will be, and subsequently the more calories you will burn each day, thereby helping prevent obesity and weight loss. High levels of muscle mass also lead to increased agility, thereby preventing falls as you age.
- Better Mood: Researchers have found that participating in a regular exercise routine is one of the best ways to improve your mood. Performing Martial Arts is not only a good way to relieve stress and frustration, but may actually help to make you happier. The endorphins released by physical activity appear to be active in your body for as many as four hours after exercise.