Studying Martial Arts is one of the most challenging and rewarding pursuits that you will ever encounter. Martial Arts proficiency requires many hours of hard work spent practicing form and technique. However, as you progress through the ranks, you will achieve a satisfaction that makes all of your hard work and dedication worthwhile.
At times, as we undertake the tasks associated with your many pursuits, we might begin to feel discouraged. We need to step back and assess our situations so that we can find something that will help us remain motivated and better able to reach the great peaks of success.
Here are some mental steps that you can take:
- Maintain a Positive Outlook: A positive outlook can greatly increase motivation and will help you to stick with your endeavors to their completion. Instead of focusing on setbacks try to consider the many benefits that you will gain with a "can do" attitude.
- Keep Your "Eye on the Prize": Few things inspire as much as a really great reward. Set a realistic goal for yourself (such as your next belt level) and work toward that goal. If your goals are realistic and attainable within a reasonable amount of time they will better help to motivate than unrealistic or distant goals.
- Look at the Big Picture: While you are working each day to learn a new set of forms or set of movements, remember that the Martial Arts is a system that cannot work without each of its component parts. Each time you learn something new, try to see how it fits into the big picture.
- Keep Things in Perspective: Maintaining perspective will greatly assist you in all of your endeavors. A small set-back is not the end of the world. Remember that you are only limited by your own perceptions of reality. Inch by inch, it's a cinch, but yard by yard it's hard.
- Stay Self-Disciplined: One great way to stay motivated is to attend class regularly and participate fully in class activities. This will lead to an increased rate of learning and give you the tools that you will need for Martial Arts success.
Staying motivated is one of the keys to success in the Martial Arts and in your life. If you approach each of life's endeavors with a high level of motivation and commitment, you are sure to succeed.